HYMS Student Council
What is it?An open platform giving HYMS students an opportunity to discuss any matters affecting the student body at HYMS. Core members are all those elected to work on behalf of our students, but any HYMS student is welcome to attend and contribute to meetings.
Our aim:Together, we aim to ensure that students are considered and prioritised in all areas of HYMS and its partner universities and to optimise the student experience.
What is a core member?Core members of the Student Council are those HYMS students that represent the views of all students on committees with and within the HYMS body. The core members of the Student Council include:
- MedSoc presidents and Student-Staff Committee chair (Co –Chairing)
- Student Representatives (who are also Student-Staff Committee members), minimum one from each Phase
- MedSoc Committee members, minimum two from each home site
- HYMS Student Society presidents (for societies ratified with MedSoc), or representatives in their place
- HYMS SA President or representatives in their place
- HYMS Faculty Co-ordinator, or a representative in their place
- HYMS BMA representatives, minimum one from each home site
- Secretary to the council
- Any HYMS Student
- Representatives from any other student body or organisation, at the discretion of the next council
- Any HYMS staff member, by invitation only
Jess is the current Student-Staff Committee chair and oversees all activity of the HYMS Student Representatives. Along with chairing the Student Staff Committee, Jess also Co-chairs the HYMS Student Council.
Dunni is the current President of York MedSoc and oversees all extra-curricular activity on the York campus. Whilst leading the York MedSoc committee, Dunni also co-chairs the HYMS Student Council and meets with her fellow co-chairs to set the agenda for each council meeting.
Christian is the current President of Hull MedSoc and represents all extra curricular activity on the Hull campus. Whilst leading the Hull MedSoc committee, Christian also co-chairs the HYMS Student Council and meets with the other co-chairs and secretary to set the agenda for each meeting.
Chiedu is the Secretary of the HYMS Student Council, whilst being a core member of the Council, Chiedu plays an instrumental part in the organisation and running of council meetings.